Makes one cake or 12 cupcakes
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1-1/4 cups canola oil
4 large eggs
3 cups grated, peeled carrots
10 ounces reduced fat cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. If making a cake: butter two 9-inch diameter cake pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper. Butter and flour paper; tap out excess flour. **If making cupcakes: line tins with paper cupcake holder and pour batter directly into them.
3. Whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a medium bowl to blend.
4. Whisk sugar and oil in a large bowl until well blended. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time.
5. Add flour mixture and stir just until blended.
6. Stir in carrots. Pour batter into cake or cupcake pan(s).
7. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean; for cake, check at 40 minutes; for cupcakes, check at 30 minutes.
8. Cool in pans for 15 minutes. Once cool to the touch, you can top with icing.
1. Beat cream cheese and maple syrup together, until smooth and creamy.
2. Spoon into a zip-lock bag and push the mixture all the way down to one corner and twist the top of the bag closed.
3. Snip off the tip with a pair of scissors. Squeeze out the icing onto the cake/cupcakes in a swirl.