1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bunch parsley, minced
1 bunch mint, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 cups sushi rice- $1.50
2 cups water (plus extra for rinsing)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar- $0.16
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
12 sheets of nori- $2.50
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced- $0.75
1 avocado, thinly sliced- $1.50
1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
¾ cups whole wheat flour
¾ all-purpose flour
3-4 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Make the crust dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, and salt, until well mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump.
3. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your hands to form into a disc. Do not over knead.
4. Roll out dough and fit it into 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
5. While crust is baking, heat olive oil in skillet and add scallions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Sprinkle feta on bottom of pie crust and spread asparagus mixture on top.
7. Whisk together eggs and milk and pour into pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
1 9-inch crust (see recipe below)
1-2 cups filling ingredients, like greens, onions, scallions, asparagus
1-2 cups (3 oz – 6 oz) grated cheese, like Gruyere, Swiss, or Cheddar
3 large eggs
1 cup (8 oz) milk
1/2 cup (4 oz) cream
1 teaspoon salt
1. Blind-Bake the Crust: See crust recipe instructions below.
2. Prepare the Filling: While the crust is baking, prepare your quiche filling. Chop the vegetables you will be using. Sauté them starting with your onions and finishing up with your greens. Make sure all ingredients are cooked through.
3. Prepare the Quiche Filling: Sprinkle half the cheese over the bottom of the pie crust and top with the fillings. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top.
4. Prepare the Custard Filling: Whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, and salt until frothy. Pour the custard into the pie crust.
5. Bake the Quiche: Bake the quiche at 350°F for 30 to 40 minutes, until the edges are set but the quiche still jiggles a little in the center. Cool for at least 20 minutes, but ideally overnight.
Quiche can be served cold, room temperature, or warmed. If serving warm, heat in a 300°F oven until just warm to the touch.
Makes one 9-inch crust
1 stick cold, salted butter
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/8 cup cold water
Special equipment: Dried beans for blind-baking, pie plate
1. Chop butter into small pieces
2. In a bowl, combine flour and butter pieces. Break butter into the flour using finger tips. Work quickly and gently.
3. When flour and butter look like coarse meal, add water and blend everything together with a fork. Add more water if necessary but be careful not to make dough too wet.
4. Using your hands, gently knead the dough until smooth. DO NOT OVERWORK!
5. Let dough rest in the refrigerator at least an hour.
6. While preparing the quiche filling, preheat the oven to 400º F.
7. Roll out dough to 1/8th of an inch. Line the pie plate with the dough. Trim excess.
8. Prick dough all over with the tines of a fork.
9. Line dough with foil and place dried beans on top to weigh it down.
10. Place pie plate in the oven and blind-bake for 10 minutes.
11. Remove from oven, remove foil and beans, and fill and bake quiche.