1 1⁄4 cup flour
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled 1⁄4 cup of ice water (maybe more)
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
2 leeks (white part only), thinly sliced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup cheese, grated
1 egg, beaten
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Make the crust dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, and salt, until well mixed. Add
the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump.
3. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your hands to form into a disc. Do not over-knead. Sprinkle with a little flour on all sides, wrap with plastic, and place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Combine broccoli, leeks, olive oil, salt and pepper in mixing bowl.
5. Spread vegetables on sheet pan and roast for 10-15 minutes.
6. Whisk egg in small bowl and set aside.
7. On a lightly floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-inch diameter.
Gently lift up the rolled out dough and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
8. Arrange the vegetables in an overlapping pattern in a single layer in the center of the
dough, forming about a 7 or 8-inch circle. Sprinkle with cheese. Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling, by about 2-inches all the way around, use a pastry brush to coat the dough with an egg wash.
8 oz dried whole wheat pasta (such as penne or fusilli)- $1.00
2 tablespoons olive oil- $0.48
1 small onion, diced- $0.30
2 cloves garlic, minced-$0.12
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced-$0.56
2 ears of corn, kernels removed- $0.64
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved-$3.49
½ cup basil, cut into chiffonade- $0.75
½ cup grated parmesan-$1.76
Combine basil, garlic, parmesan and lemon juice in food processor. Blend completely while slowly adding oil.
Bring salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook until al dente.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in skillet and add onion. Sauté for 2-3 minutes.
Add zucchini and corn. Sauté 4-5 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Add tomatoes and sauté for another 2 minutes.
Combine veggies with pasta. Add pesto. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Makes 4 9-inch quesadillas
2 medium summer squash, julienned or grated
1 medium sweet onion, julienned
1 cup grated sharp cheddar
8 9in flour tortillas
extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet to med-hi and add a drizzle
of oil. Add onion and cook for 2 minutes, or until
translucent. Add summer squash and cook for an additional 5
minutes, or until just tender. Remove from pan and set
2. Heat another large non-stick skillet to medium heat and add
a drizzle of oil. Place one flour tortilla into pan and
sprinkle with 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/4 of the onion &
squash mixture. Place another flour tortilla on top. When
the bottom tortilla is crispy and golden brown and the
cheese has melted, use a spatula to flip the quesadilla
over. Cook until this side is also golden brown and crispy.
3. Cut into eighths and serve with SALSA FRESCA and guac!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup white onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1 red bell pepper
3 medium zucchini, diced
1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
8 warm corn tortillas
½ cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat, and add onions. Saute until they become fragrant, about 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, sauté for another minute.
Add bell pepper, corn and zucchini and cook until tender, 4-5minutes..
Add black beans, cumin and black pepper. Season with salt to taste.