1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 Tablespoon shoyu or soy sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon honey
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan, divided
2 bunches Tuscan kale or other kale, center stalks removed, chiffonade
1. Whisk together first 6 ingredients. Slowly add oil, drop by drop. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Toss kale and dressing in a large bowl to coat. Top with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
1¼ cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1½ teaspoons salt
1 stick butter, cut into ½ inch cubes
1/3 cup water
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon chile powder
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
1 15‐oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
4 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg (for wash)
1. Preheat oven to 400F
2. Combine butter with flour and salt using fingertips or food processor until the mixture looks like coarse corn meal.
3. Whisk water, egg and vinegar together. Slowly add to flour mixture using fork.
4. Knead dough gently on smooth surface until it comes together. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in sauté pan. Add onion, sauté for 2‐3 minutes. Add garlic, cumin and chile powder sauté for another 2 minutes. Add bell pepper and sauté for 4‐5 minutes. Remove from heat and fold in sweet potato, black beans and cheese. Season with salt.
6. After dough has chilled, shape it into 1 ½ inch balls, and roll it into a circle.
7. Place one tablespoon of filling on the bottom half of the circle, avoiding the perimeter. Wet perimeter of dough with water, and fold in half. Seal edges using a fork. Repeat.
8. Bake for 15‐20 minutes or until lightly browned.
10 oz dried rice noodles
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Thai curry paste
1 tablespoon ginger
1 15 ounce can coconut milk
4 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 cups cabbage, sliced
2 cups bean sprouts
1 lime, juiced
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
1. Soak noodles in water for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat oil in soup pot. Add curry paste and ginger, sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut milk and whisk with curry paste. Add the rest of the coconut milk and vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Add soy sauce.
3. Add carrots and cabbage and cook for 3 minutes. Add rice noodles and cook for another 1-2 minutes or until noodles are cooked though.
4. Add bean sprouts and lime juice. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
1 1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick butter, cut into small (1/2-inch) cubes, chilled
¼ cup of ice water (maybe more)
3-4 apples, peeled, cored and sliced
3 tablespoons sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 425F.
2. Make the crust dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, and salt, until well mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump.
3. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your hands to form into a disc. Do not over-knead. Sprinkle with a little flour on all sides, wrap with plastic, and place into the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes.
4. Thinly slice apples, toss to coat with sugar.
5. Whisk egg in small bowl and set aside.
6. On a lightly floured, clean, smooth surface, roll out the dough to about a 12-inch diameter. Gently lift up the rolled out dough and place it on a rimmed baking sheet.
7. Arrange the apple slices in an overlapping pattern in a single layer in the center of the dough, forming about a 7 or 8-inch circle. Dot with a little butter. Fold the outer edges of the dough round over the filling, by about 2-inches all the way around, use a pastry brush to coat the dough with an egg wash.
8. Place in the oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet, over a rack, about 15 minutes.