1 cup quinoa, rinsed
3 tablespoons lemon juice
¼ cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bunch parsley, minced
1 bunch mint, minced
1 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 cups sushi rice- $1.50
2 cups water (plus extra for rinsing)
2 tablespoons rice vinegar- $0.16
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon salt
12 sheets of nori- $2.50
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced- $0.75
1 avocado, thinly sliced- $1.50
1 stick cold butter, cut into cubes
¾ cups whole wheat flour
¾ all-purpose flour
3-4 tablespoons water
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1 bunch asparagus, ends removed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/3 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Make the crust dough. In a food processor, pulse the flour, and salt, until well mixed. Add the cubed butter, and pulse 8 times. The butter should still be the size of peas in the mixture. Slowly add the ice water, a tablespoon or two at a time, pulsing after each addition, until the dough just begins to clump.
3. Turn out onto a clean surface. Use your hands to form into a disc. Do not over knead.
4. Roll out dough and fit it into 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
5. While crust is baking, heat olive oil in skillet and add scallions and sauté for 2 minutes. Add asparagus and cook for another 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Sprinkle feta on bottom of pie crust and spread asparagus mixture on top.
7. Whisk together eggs and milk and pour into pie crust. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden on top.
Makes two dozen
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon chili powder
2 carrots, peeled and diced
2 cups kale, chopped
1 lb. potatoes, peeled and boiled
1 package phyllo dough, defrosted
¾ stick of butter, melted
Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat oil in sauté pan. Add onion and sauté 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, cumin, turmeric, coriander and chili powder and sauté until very fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add carrots and sauté for another 2 minutes. Add kale and sauté until kale has wilted and is soft.
Fold in potatoes and season mixture with salt.
Fold phyllo dough in half lengthwise and brush surface with butter. Place ¼ cup of vegetable mixture at bottom corner of the dough, and fold into a triangle, and then continue to fold in triangles, like folding up a flag.
Brush each triangle with butter and place on a baking sheet and bake 7-10 minutes or until golden and brown.