Thank you to everyone who helped make The Sylvia Center’s first ever Charity Buzz Auction a success! The money you’ve helped us raise will be put towards a matching grant of $50,000 from Robin Quivers’ Fifteen Foundation to expand our culinary education program for at-risk youth living in public housing.
We would like to express our most heartfelt thanks to those who bid on items, helped spread the word about the auction and especially to our sponsors for donating a truly unique collection of items to bid on.
Special thanks to our sponsors for donating a wonderful array of auction lots:
i Trulli Enoteca e Ristorante
The New York Distilling Company
Tim and Jackie Reuling of Reuling Vineyards
Auction lots range from a day of distilling with spirits maven Allen Katz; to private cooking lessons and meals with chef Rozanne Gold and food editor Mindy Fox; to your own private supper club staged by chef and food writer Tamar Adler and composer Gabriel Kahane.
Your bidding will help us raise funds towards a matching grant of $50,000 from Robin Quivers’ 15 Foundation to expand our culinary education program for youth, teens and families living in NYCHA public housing.
2 large onions (1 pound), coarsely chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1/2 fresh jalapeño chile, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, with juice
1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 (15-ounce) cans kidney or black beans, rinsed
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1. Sauté onions, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño in oil in a 4-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add chili powder, cumin, and salt and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes with juice and eggplant and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
4. Stir in beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
5. Stir in cilantro.
6. Serve over brown rice or with fresh corn bread.